[CentOS-docs] Building yet another an off round wheel; was: Contribution to wiki: nagios incompatibility with centos 5.2

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 17 16:28:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:26:48AM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Christoph Maser wrote:
>
> We at CentOS are an enterprise rebuild as the core product.
> Nothing more.  That is OUR trailhead

Then this should be made VERY plain on the wiki's front page.
There are many articles about other things, and as we've seen, opinions
on their value errm, strongly differ.

As it stands, it seems to be a grey area, similar to my hair.
However, (and whether this is good or bad is what is fueling this
debate, so I'm just stating it as something that is) for me, at least, I
no longer consider submitting to the wiki, I simply put them up on my
own pages.  Even something CentOS specific, such as using a later
version of hplip was easy for me to put on my pages, didn't have to ask
anyone, didn't have to argue that yes, the docs on hplip are wrong, and
yes, I did drop them a line.

The wiki's restrictions seem, in my most humble opinion, to sometimes
lower, rather than raise, the quality of content.

For example, the ArchLinux wiki is an extremely useful resource, even
for those not using Arch. Its docs are clear, written by users for users
in most cases.  When a developer, say, someone as knowledgeable as
yourself, writes, you may tend to overlook the very things that others
need to know because they are so second nature to you.

So, my own opinion is that the wiki powers that be should make a
decision as to exactly what you want it to be--if most agree with
Russ,then it should, to reiterate, be clearly stated so that other folks
don't waste time and effort preparing something that will be rejected.

Again, not saying this is good or bad, as that's a bikeshed discussion,
just that it should be decided, and clearly stated.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: (scoffs) Magic! Magic's all balderdash and chicanery. I'm
afraid we don't know a bloody thing. (everyone looking at him)
Except I seem to be British, don't I? Uh, and a man. With ...
glasses. (removes glasses) Well, that narrows it down
considerably.