[CentOS-docs] proposed nvidia wiki page

Scott Robbins

scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 14 17:15:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 01:09:43PM -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> lostson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 23:39 -0400, JohnS wrote:
> >>
> >> [1] http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics
> >>
> >> JohnStanley
> >>
> >  I was reading yours over today and yes they are very similar, hopefully
> > i can get edit permissions soon and we can get it all squared away.
>
> Might want to have a look at this forum post - did a pretty detailed
> procedure.
>
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=85280&topic_id=22003&forum=39#forumpost85280
>
> Phil

Over the weekend, I played with the elrepo-testing version.  It was
pretty much (after having installed the nvidia drivers from NVidia)

nvidia-uninstall

to get rid of what I'd downloaded.

Then

yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=elrepo-testing install kmod-nvidia

which pulls in the driver as well, of course.

The first time I tried it, there seemed to be a module mismatch, perhaps
from cruft left around from a previous NVidia install, along the lines
of conflict between 185.31 and 185.36 or something similar. After
clearing out the old NVidia (vs. nv) modules, that were left after this
older install/uninstall, the above solution worked well, and is, of
course, easier.

Main advantage, I think is the kmod part, so that if one plays around
with different kernels, it should be taken care of--in theory at least
haven't tried different kernels yet.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: This isn't a relationship. You don't need me.  All
you care about is lots of orgasms.
Xander: Okay, remember how we talked about private conversations?
How they're less private when they're in front of my friends?
Spike: Oh we're not your friends. Go on.
Giles: Please don't