[CentOS-docs] www.centos.org and the wildcard dns

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Apr 16 16:06:20 UTC 2010

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> At the moment there is a www.centos.org site. There is also a wildcard
> dns setup that directs anything.centos.org to www.centos.org's content
>
> This has a couple of 'issues' with SEO and google sepcifically. The
> reason we have such low page rank is that google marks all of this as
> duplicate content. I am sure there are other search engines that do as
> well ( Bing has a policy of marking down duplicates as well ).
>
> So, what I'd like to propose is to either drop the wildcard dns
> completely, or setup a new vhost for the wildcard that isnt
> www.centos.org. What we could then do is either present people with a
> list of options on destinations they might be interested in. eg:
>
> - www.centos.org
> - wiki.centos.org
> - bugs.centos.org
> - mirror.centos.org
> - isolist.centos.org
>
> thoughts ?

I'd make a dedicatet vhost with the following index.html (read between
the lines, please...):

Welcome, beloved user ! You've reached nothing.centos.org which
unfortunately does not point to valid content. What we can help you with is:
- www.centos.org
- wiki.centos.org
- bugs.centos.org
- mirror.centos.org