[CentOS-docs] www.centos.org and the wildcard dns

Ralph Angenendt ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 17:47:17 UTC 2010

Am 16.04.10 23:52, schrieb Ed Heron:

> <VirtualHost *:80>
>   ServerAlias *.centos.org
>   Redirect permanent / http://centos.org
> </VirtualHost>
>
>   That should get the browser client to notice and change where it is going.

Yes. If apache gets to that after the wiki.centos.org and the
bugs.centos.org vhosts.

I'm with Manuel. I don't even see a reason for wildcard DNS anyway, just
go with

www.centos.org
wwww.centos.org
ww.centos.org
centos.org

and

mirror.centos.org
mirrors.centos.org

and

wiki.centos.org

and

bugs.centos.org

Because wildcard DNS also makes debugging harder. I have no problem with
people not reaching a website, if they can't type. So I'd rather find a
reasoning *for* the wildcards than talking about how to make the
experience better.

Because if I would type mirrors.centos.org instead of mirror.centos.org
and then would get the www.centos.org site instead of an error, I never
know I mistyped.

Ralph