[CentOS-docs] Ambiguity on a CentOS dot Org Web Page.

donavan nelson

donavan at centos.org
Sat Feb 20 00:37:54 UTC 2010

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote on 02/19/2010 05:29 PM:
>> Phil Schaffner wrote on 02/19/2010 05:17 PM:
>> ...Could run an i386 install too, but this is
>>> probably good enough.
>> Just for grins - tried the i386 install with 1GB RAM on a 3GB disk and
>> got an error that it needed 1924MB and there was not enough space, so
>> looks like the i386 minimum is around 3.5-4GB.
>
> OK - last self-reply, I promise.  :-)
>
> Tried i386 with 5GB and it got further but errored out after the
> installation started with a message about needing 97MB on / so I
> conclude that i386 needs >5GB to install, and so x86_64 definitely needs
>  >5GB for a default install also, despite the installed system having a
> bit of headroom.  6GB seems like a good minimum number, with the caveat
> that it is not really enough for a workable system over time.

Anaconda and/or yum calculates disk space usage with a pink unicorn
based slide rule.

I've seen cases where it is 30% high.  In fact, on my mini domU's I
moved / and /usr back to the same file system to avoid wasting so much
space to get past the bumbled calculations.

I suspect if you tried with 6G you would significantly less than 5.1G
used post install.

.dn