[CentOS-docs] Article on building i586 CentOS-5 kernel

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Jan 11 06:29:47 UTC 2010

Timothy Lee wrote:
>   Dear all,
>
> I was searching for a recent i586 for CentOS-5 in the CentOSPlus
> repository.  Finding none, I decided to try my hands at building one.  I
> have documented the changes made to the stock SRPM for building an i586
> kernel on a temporary wiki page:

Wow. There are Pentium machines still running out there?

You do know that Pentium optimizations are only for Pentiums and that
such binaries could actually run slower on anything Pentium-II/Pentium
Pro and above than i386 (actually i486 optimized binaries iirc - must
check gcc) optimized binaries due to the architecture differences of the
Pentium?

Been such a long time since i saw any mention of i586.