[CentOS-docs] TipsAndTricks/ApacheVhostDir re-org

Thu Jan 21 18:36:48 UTC 2010
Ed Heron <Ed at Heron-ent.com>

>From: "Ralph Angenendt", Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:56 AM

>On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Ed Heron <Ed at heron-ent.com> wrote:

>> Hopefully, this will make the document easier to read for those that
>> don't
>> have any interest in the optional alternatives or reading it entirely.

>Too me it looks more clearly arranged this way.

  Thank you.  I tend to read documentation all the way through before
following it, when I read it at all ;).  So, I didn't initially understand
the depth of emotion that appeared to be expressed over the previous
version. (simplified english: Russ seemed very annoyed.)  But, with Russ's
patient explanation and a bit of thought, I think I understand what he was
saying.  I think both points of view are valid but the new organization is
probably more applicable to our audience.  I hope the new document is more
useful as a reference document and produces less confusion.

>> It occurs to me that I could separate the vhost.d/ and virtual disabling
>> sections into separate Tips articles. Please let me know if this is
>> desireable.

>Is that desirable? You're weighing options here (do it this way or do
>it the other way), so I don't really see how that could be split out
>in a sane way.

  Yes.  I think so, as well.  However, the document is getting a bit large
for a tips page and goes slightly beyond the stated scope.  If that isn't an
issue, yet, I don't have an issue with leaving it as a single document.

  For example, we could split the restart section into a separate document
and expand the explanation a little..  Then, this page and other potential
Apache tips pages could refer to it by command and link.  The disabling
virtual hosts could probably be put into a separate doc, though it depends
on putting the virtual host config files in a directory, so both docs would
need to refer to each other.  The potential pitfall here is that no single
document completes a thought and the referrals fly, apparently endlessly.  I
sometimes have trouble drawing the line.  The axiom, "In for a penny; In for
a pound", seems to exclude, or maybe ignore, the idea of only being in for
tupence.

  Certainly wouldn't be the first to question my sanity, though.

  The other thought I had is collecting all the Apache tips into a howto,
but I'm not ready to accept the responsibility to create and maintain it,
nor do I have the confidence that it would be sufficiently authoritative.