[CentOS-docs] Add pool.ntp.org to TipsAndTricks/Server_Time

Tue Mar 2 02:12:50 UTC 2010
Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

On 03/02/2010 03:59 AM, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:
> Hey
>

> I would like to add the URL http://www.pool.ntp.org/ to the wiki entry
> TipsAndTricks/Server_Time so people can find different servers to
> tick.usno.navy.mil
>
> Just something like:
>
> If you don't want to use navy.mil you can find a ntp server near you
> under ...
>
> Comments?

Centos ships with

    server 0.centos.pool.ntp.org
    server 1.centos.pool.ntp.org
    server 2.centos.pool.ntp.org

At least for me all those are properly redirected to local (better said,
national) servers.
The default config  also includes

    Please consider joining the pool (http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html)

which should be enough food for thought for those inclined to adjust the
defaults. Therefore I really see no need for direct references in the
wiki. Why do you think that we need to stop referencing navy.mil (which,
to be honest, I had forgotten about a loong time ago, as I am using
national servers exclusively ) and which I do not see as being
referenced at all ?

    wolfy