[CentOS-docs] General FAQ addition

Wed Mar 3 21:23:19 UTC 2010
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> Added an entry to http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General :
>
> 23. How do I provide appropriate information about my system when asking
> questions?
>
> Comments, corrections, and other (constructive :-) ) criticisms are
> hereby solicited.

looks like a wheel reinvention ;(

The writeup should mention the tools already present if we
are to walk this road, no?

bash-2.05$ rpm -qi sysreport
Name        : sysreport                    Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.3.7.0                           Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 8                             Build Date: Sun 19 Nov 2006 05:12:08 PM EST
Install date: Mon 20 Nov 2006 04:40:39 AM EST      Build Host: fry.it.swin.edu.au
Group       : Development/Debuggers         Source RPM: sysreport-1.3.7.0-8.src.rpm
Size        : 27815                            License: GPL
URL         : http://www.redhat.com/support
Summary     : Gathers system hardware and configuration information.

Description :
Sysreport is a utility that gathers information about a system's
hardware and configuration. The information can then be used for
diagnostic purposes and debugging. Sysreport is commonly used to help
support technicians and developers by providing a "snapshot" of a
system's current layout.
bash-2.05$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1AS (Slurm)
bash-2.05$

which at some point (F7ish ?) moved to 'sos'

[herrold at centos-5 ~]$ rpm -qi sos
Name        : sos                          Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.7                               Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 9.27.el5                      Build Date: Thu 03 Sep 2009 03:05:05 PM EDT
Install Date: Wed 21 Oct 2009 11:19:31 PM EDT      Build Host: builder16.centos.org
Group       : Development/Libraries         Source RPM: sos-1.7-9.27.el5.src.rpm
Size        : 544974                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 30 Sep 2009 08:42:33 PM EDT, Key ID a8a447dce8562897
URL         : http://sos.108.redhat.com/
Summary     : System Support Tools

Description :
SOS is a set of tools that gathers information about system
hardware and configuration. The information can then be used for
diagnostic purposes and debugging. Sos is commonly used to help
support technicians and developers.
[herrold at centos-5 ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
[herrold at centos-5 ~]$

-- Russ herrold