[CentOS-docs] Tips and Tricks: Install from GRUB

Ed Heron Ed at Heron-ent.com
Fri May 28 18:21:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 11:57 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Ed Heron wrote on 05/27/2010 04:27 PM:
> > On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 10:30 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> >> Proposed new page for comment:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallFromGRUB
> >>
> >> Phil
> >
> > I suggest adding links to some supporting documentation.  For example,
> > you could add a prerequisites section saying this technique or trick
> > requires the install media available, either on the network or on the
> > local disk.  Instructions for setting up the install media on the
> > network can be found in the Installation guide, chapter 2.5 Preparing
> > for a Network Installation
> > http://centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html
> > Instructions for putting the install media on the local disk can be
> > found in the Installation guide, chapter 2.6 Preparing for a hard drive
> > Installation
> > http://centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/ch02s06.html
> >
> > It looks like the version 5.2 docs are the most recent on the centos.org
> > site.
>
> Ed,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  For a short Tips page I'm reluctant to add
> too much, and also don't like linking to the obsolete docs.  Feel free
> to edit the page if you feel differently. :-)

I feel linking is better than not giving the reader an idea of where to
go next.  I felt linking to the obsolete CentOS docs was better than
linking to upstream docs, since that part hasn't really changed.  I
suppose if we used
http://centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/ as the base, it
would be re-linked when a document was updated and could (theoretically)
be changed by the translators (assuming alternate language manuals
existed).

> OT: So what's happening with updating docs?
>
> Phil

I had an urge to ask the same about updating CentOS docs, but that is
commonly interpreted as volunteering to lead the task.  I'd volunteer to
help, though.  Is someone currently in charge of that?
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/ suggests that the CentOS project
redistributes without modification.  Since this isn't code, I assume
(subject to correction) that this process is different than the process
at http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess but possibly
similar in some respects for the equivalent rpms.