[CentOS-docs] Suggestion for "how to" section: easy way to install the JDK?

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sun Oct 10 00:59:29 UTC 2010

On 10/09/2010 12:47 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 09/10/10 08:32, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> At least the jre package (and I am almost sure jdk too) from Sun comes
>> with the following structure:
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Apr 10 01:25 default ->  /usr/java/latest
>> drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Jun 28 23:34 jre1.6.0_20
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Jun 28 23:35 latest ->  /usr/java/jre1.6.0_20
>>
>> Using /usr/java/latest and / or /usr/java/default in your scripts makes
>> them immune to upgrades, as long as you stick with Sun's packages (
>> which - sad but true - make the java-openjdk / gcj packages useless and
>> offer ( for the moment ) better compatibility with the real world. At
>> least from I where I stand.
>>

> Are these redistributable? I'm sure they are as Red Hat has Sun's Java
> packages on it's
> RHEL Supplementary disk for RHEL5 which it (re)distributes to customers.

As Russ has said, they are not.
> In which case why doesn't someone just repackage these and stick them in
> CentOS Extras/rpmforge or somewhere and the problem largely goes away.
> Or am I missing something?

Yup, you miss the fact that RH [ probably ] has agreements which allow
them to redistribute some binary-only packages (even flash player) via a
special channel to their  customers.
> If we had decent packages that Just Worked, we wouldn't need convoluted
> documentation on how to install Java.

Indeed. Unfortunately we are not there. Not yet.
However a 3 steps procedure ( 1) download from Sun; 2) install rpm 3)
create a symlink for your browser ) is not that bad, given the previous
options that we had.