[CentOS-docs] update HOWTO page for how to copy ssh pub keys

Thu Oct 7 12:04:05 UTC 2010
Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >  here:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH
> >
> > the recipe for how to copy your id_rsa.pub file to a remote system is
> > given as:
> >
> > "Copy the public key (id_rsa.pub) to the server and install it to the
> > authorized_keys list:
> >
> > $ cat id_rsa.pub >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"
> >
> >  i suspect it would be better if that were rewritten in terms of
> > using ssh-copy-id, just to be simpler and less error-prone.
>
> Remember that this was likely written for CentOS 4, which did not
> have that tool as part of openssh. So we might want to provide an
> option for both cases ?

  ah, good point.  i suspect the most effective rewrite would be 3
parts:

  * a general description of what is being done, files involved,
    what's copied, proper file/dir permissions for it to work
    properly, etc.
  * the manual way it's done on centos 4
  * the newer, simpler centos 5 way involving ssh-copy-id

and that would do it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca