[CentOS-docs] Broadcom Wiki page - latest driver issue

Mon Aug 8 13:32:03 UTC 2011
Milos Blazevic <milos.blazevic at sbb.rs>

Hi folks,

as some of you probably know, there's been some input lately from the
community in regard to the aforementioned Wiki page.

I temporarily got my hands on a piece of hardware equipped with BCM4311
so I can test the latest driver - and came to a conclusion that it
doesn't work at all - it does load with the dependencies, but WiFi won't
activate.

Now, I have an older driver version (5.10.91.9 - x86_64) that works
nicely in my possession - a leftover from the time when the manual was
written - and would like to make it available to the community, so one
wouldn't have to pay to Driverguide.com a driver that should be
available free of charge (reminds me of "good" old Connexant winmodem).

The questions are:

- Can we make this driver version available to the users through one of
Centos.org sponsored servers?
- Does this present an issue from a legal point of view - for
CentOS.org, or for me for that matter? (honestly, I'm looking for an
answer from someone who can tell me this from the top of his/hers head)

If this can be done, I'll could instantly remedy the Wiki page with the
latest changes.

BTW, this particular WiFi card works just fine with b43 driver on EL6
and is setup automatically during the OS installation - however, some
other chips may not.

--
Regards,
Milos.