[CentOS-docs] Italian Translation Team

Ralph Angenendt

ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 09:51:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Andrea Veri <av at gnome.org> wrote:
> Il giorno 20/gen/2011, alle ore 23.52, Ralph Angenendt ha scritto:
>>
>> It would be wiki.centos.org/it/ :)
>>
>> Do you have any specific tasks in mind already? Would you want to do
>> that only yourself (you having other tasks in the open source community
>> already) or with other people?
>

> My original idea was:
>
> 1. setting up an italian istance of the centos website, e.g translating existing
> centos website content moving it to a subdomain of the centos.org domain.

Okay, we've been over this on IRC. At the moment I don't see a point
in translating what is on www.centos.org, as that isn't really
maintained (as you might have seen).

> 2. translating time by time the wiki into italian. (as you suggested wiki.centos.org/it)
>
> I am actually starting this team alone, but I will be more than happy to have
> someone helping me sooner or later. (mostly when someone will notice there
> is an italian istance of centos needing help)

I can give you write access for the it/ part of the wiki. There is an
automatism at work (which needs to be extended for it) which redirects
the reader to the english page if there is no translation. This means
one thing: Even if you translate a page, the title has to be exactly
the same as in the english version, so wiki.centos.org/HowTos/ becomes
wiki.centos.org/it/HowTos

One more thing: We have a half baked spanish translation (much work
has been done there, but there aren't any real updates to the pages as
original content changes) and a rather well maintained chinese
translation, where changes to the pages are picked up rather soonish.

So if you want to go ahead and translate things, keep in mind, that
things on the original pages might change all the time - and need to
be changed on translated pages, too.

So if you are like Timothy, who is doing most to all of the chinese
translation, that is fine. If you only want to translate a subset
(let's say the howtos) and keep them maintained, that is fine too. But
having a translation which begins to diverge from the original pages
is problematic. So if you have a few persons who are working on that,
it might be easier.

I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, these are just a few things
which should be thought about. And yes, it was easier to do so, when
the wiki was smaller :)

Cheers and sorry for the late answer, I know I wanted to get back to you sooner.

Ralph