[CentOS-docs] New page TipsAndTricks/IdentifyHardDisk

Marko A. Jennings markobiz at bluegargoyle.com
Fri Jun 10 11:46:52 EDT 2011

On Fri, June 10, 2011 11:18 am, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> For the inspection of the docs group:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/IdentifyHardDisk

hdparm -I fails on 4 of my machines with SATA disks attached to 3ware RAID
controllers in JBOD configuration and a fifth one with SCSI disks attached
to an LSI Logic RAID controller (JBOD as well) with the following message:

[root at host ~]# hdparm -I /dev/sd?

/dev/sda:
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument

/dev/sdb:
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument

Might be good to include a note that the command does not work for all
disk/controller configurations.