[CentOS-docs] FOG on CentOS Wiki contribution suggestion?

Mon May 2 23:05:06 UTC 2011
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Am 29.04.11 18:32, schrieb Alex Goffe:
>> Ok, changes made! If you could move it that would be great.
>
> Okay, done. Could you please explain in the document
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Fog> why you are truning off iptables?

My thought, reading the article was: why are binaries being
installed outside of the packaging system? Why is an
_interactive_ isntallation AND the configuration being
performed inside the install (contrary to good RPM practice)?
This line was particularly troubling:

> FOG now has everything it needs to setup your server, but
> please understand that this script will overwrite any
> setting you may have setup for services like DHCP, apache,
> pxe, tftp, and NFS.

and appears to simply be a untested 'lift' with some edits of
a generic install document:

> This script should be run by the root user on Fedora, or
> with sudo on Ubuntu.

And the instructions as shown are not from a root level
account, and cannot work as shown with the shell defaults
CentOS ships:

> $ service iptables stop
> $ service ip6tables stop
> $ chkconfig iptables off
> $ chkconfig ip6tables off

Last time I looked this is a wiki for the CentOS project ...
If people want to write about pet projects, that is fine ...
elsewhere --- but general and indeed poor sysadmin practice
under the upstream/RPM approach, does not belong in the CentOS
wiki unless a CentOS project related issue is being addressed

-- Russ herrold