[CentOS-docs] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix

Fri Jul 20 19:12:52 UTC 2012
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 20/07/12 12:00, Christoph Galuschka wrote:
> Am 20.07.2012 01:25, schrieb Edward Cavill:
>> Hi in the wiki, using 64 without the trailing M gives an error.
>>
>> <code>
>> The dovecot configuration file is located at /etc/dovecot.conf. The
>> following lines should be added, edited or uncommented:
>>
>> login_process_size = 64
>>
>> [root at localhost etc]# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
>> Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean
>> config file with: doveconf -n>  dovecot-new.conf
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
>> protocols=imaps is no longer necessary, remove it
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
>> protocols=pop3s is no longer necessary, remove it
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:86:
>> login_process_size has been replaced by service { vsz_limit }
>> doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:
>> service(pop3-login): vsz_limit is too low
>> </code>
>>
>> Adding the M after the login_process_size = resolves the issue, as can
>> be seen below
>>

>> login_process_size = 64M
>>
>> [root at localhost etc]# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
>> Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean
>> config file with: doveconf -n>  dovecot-new.conf
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
>> protocols=imaps is no longer necessary, remove it
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
>> protocols=pop3s is no longer necessary, remove it
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:86:
>> login_process_size has been replaced by service { vsz_limit }
>>                                                              [  OK  ]
>>

>> Please could you update the wiki to show these changes.
>> the two occurrences are at
>>
>> 1)  "login_process_size = 64"
>> 2)  "the Dovecot package on x86_64 kernels requires the parameter
>> "login_process_size = 64"
>>

>> [root at localhost etc]# uname -ams
>> Linux xxxxxxxxxx 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 6 19:48:22 GMT
>> 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>

>> Thanks
> Hi,
>
> I'Ve added the changes - thanks for finding them.
>
> cheers

One issue I see here is that the original howto was written for CentOS-5
with dovecot 1.x.

The OP here is clearly using CentOS-6, which uses dovecot 2.x and no
surprises for guessing that there are a few incompatibilities between
the config files for dovecot 1 and 2.

Personally, I'd suggest forking the original article and maintaining
separate versions for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6, or have separate sections
within the article for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 where they differ.

To the best of my knowledge this list never did agree a mechanism for
handling documentation differences between product versions. The danger
is that if we keep editing changes for CentOS-6 into docs for CentOS-5
we will end up with broken useless docs.

How do others feel this type of situation should best be handled?