[CentOS-docs] Correction to HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

Yves Bellefeuille yan at storm.ca
Tue May 1 22:07:55 EDT 2012

On Sunday 29 April 2012, Alan Bartlett <ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:

> Thank you, Yves. I've taken care of both of those points. Would you
> like to check that it now reads correctly, please?

There are a few more points that should be added. They should all appear
after the end of the current list.

During the installation process, the user is asked "What type of media
contains the installation image?" The user should select the first
partition on the USB key, which usually appears in the menu under "Hard
drive", then "/dev/sdb1".

After partitioning, the user is asked whether to install the Grub boot
loader and where to install it. After booting from the USB key, the BIOS
thinks that the USB key is the first drive. To install the Grub boot
loader on the hard drive, which is the usual case, the user must change
the order of the hard drives using the Grub installation options.

After the Grub installation options, the following error message
appears: "Missing ISO 9660 image: The installer has tried to mount image
#1, but cannot find it on the hard drive". The installation program is
looking for the ISO file on the first partition of the USB key, but it's
on the second partition. The user should go to a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2),
unmount the first partition of the USB key ("umount /mnt/isodir"), mount
the second partition ("mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/isodir"), return to
the installation program (Ctrl-Alt-F6) and choose "Retry".

(Unmounting /dev/sdb1 doesn't interfere with the installation process. I
tried creating a link from /dev/sdb1 to the ISO image, but that didn't
work, because /dev/sdb1 contains a VFAT or FAT32 flle system which
doesn't support links.)

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se