[CentOS-docs] strange error noise ...

Alain Reguera Delgado

alain.reguera at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:11:26 UTC 2012

On 09/10/2012 03:52 PM, R P Herrold wrote:

> The 'prepare' script uses a somewhat unusual construct a few
> places that has permissions errors, leaking (harmless) noise
> to stderr
>
> /home/artwork/artwork/trunk/Scripts/Bash/Functions/Commons/
> cli_printMessage.sh: line 70: /dev/stderr: Permission denied
>
>               echo "$MESSAGE">  /dev/stderr
>

> /home/artwork/artwork/trunk/Scripts/Bash/Functions/Commons/
> cli_printMessage.sh: line 237: /dev/stderr: Permission denied
>
>   	                    END {}'>  /dev/stderr
>
> --------------------

Yes. These are error messages. Where else does they should go to but the
standard error output? Isn't it the usual way of printing error messages?

For some reason are you running the whole script through `sudo'?

> Might this properly simply be sent to /dev/null ?

We could do send error messages to /dev/null but centos-art.sh script is
using /dev/stderr to report error messages. For example, when a file
doesn't have execution right centos-art.sh script prints an error
message telling you that, so you can fix the problem. If we don't do
such printing finding errors would be even harder, don't you think?

--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera at gmail.com>