[CentOS-docs] Application for write permissions to CentOS wiki

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Tue Dec 9 22:12:22 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am 09.12.2014 um 22:22 schrieb Alan Bartlett:
> As far as I can see, you should now be able to edit that page.

Given all of this trouble: Do you really think that your "policy" to get
write access is appropriate? I don't want to complain too much here, but
I think that the entry barrier of a wiki should be as low as possible in
order for people to participate.

I understand your need to take measures against spam bots and random
changes by non-technical beginners. I guess its a fair assumption that
people contributing to the CentOS wiki are more technical than the
general public, but nonetheless I think requesting write access via a
mailing list, the necessity for a particular naming scheme and
maintaining a whole bunch of ACLs on your end is massive overkill.

Were there any (bad) issues in the past, which made all of this
necessary? Otherwise I would strongly argue for loosening all of this
up, just to give more people the possibility to participate.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not trolling, this is just a suggestion.
I'm perfectly fine with the status quo, I'm just not sure what you want
to achieve and you might be overreaching. Anyway, you are doing a superb
job. The turn-around time for my requests was really good. But by
loosening up this process, you would relieve yourself from this
"trivial" tasks.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch