[CentOS-docs] Request for access to wiki

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 23:27:36 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 12:53 PM, R P Herrold wrote:

> This is part of a piece I sent this to Karsten earlier today:
>
>> Karsten:
>
>> Speaking of which, do we have any writing standards for using the
>> wiki? Anything to point new contributors to?
>
> Historically, to get rights on the CentOS wiki, one had to have a:
> - have subscribed to the -docs ML - registered with CamelCase
> wikiname - optionally set up a homepage (doing so required asking
> for limited rights to do so in that sub-space on the -docs ML) -
> discuss on the -docs ML, the intended content, optionally putting a
> preview below the personal homepage in the hierarchy - one point
> being it was not interesting to simply parrot RH doco, or replicate
> content elsewhere, but rather to document deviations between
> CentOS and RHEL
>
> as there were some deviation by design or by necessity: updater
> driven -- early days yum not RHN, artwork, license matters

http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute#head-42b3d8e26400a106851a61aebe5c2cca54dd79e5

Mea culpa, I should have remembered to search first. Also, I now
recall having read that page.

I'll follow that process, and am glad to have my edit rights
restricted theoretically or actually until I gain merit under the
current process.

I'll note this paragraph on that page:

"As said: We're really sorry that we have to do it this way but we
hope to change the process in the future so it becomes easier to
contribute to the Wiki."

I've been through these pains with wiki editing before, and spamming,
and all the problems of people posting content they shouldn't. I would
like to start working on a better process here. Can the folks with the
understanding and history help?

To put it another way, if we're waiting for someone to spend 5 to 10
hours or more a week making it easier to get wiki editors and writers,
I'd like to do that. Please do me the favor of ignoring my email
address and .sig in that request -- it is literally me asking if I
have your permission to improve things as you've indicated you want.

- - Karsten
- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade        .^\    CentOS Engineering Manager
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org    \  http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'             gpg: AD0E0C41