[CentOS-docs] Documentation SIG

Tim Krupinski tdkrupinski at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:44:50 UTC 2014

Thanks for the info.  I just checked Redhat's support site, and it
appears the docs are licensed as such:

     This document is licensed by Red Hat under the Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>. If you
     distribute this document, or a modified version of it, you must
provide attribution to Red Hat, Inc. and provide a link to the
     original.     If the document is modified, all Red Hat trademarks
must be removed.

Are you concerned with the amount of effort it would take to remove all
of RedHat's trademarks if we were to modify it?  Either way, one of the
first things I wanted to address wasn't necessarily adding more
documentation, but starting a conversation about how it's currently
organized on the wiki.

For example, on the Front Page, there are four different tabs that
reference "Documentation" - Help, Tips & Tricks, How To, and FAQs.  It
isn't very clear whether the FAQ is about the Wiki, or the project.
Compare that to the Fedora Project wiki, where the front page has one
pretty obvious link in the sidebar called 'Documentation'.  From there
you can get the official manuals, information on the IRC channel, etc.

The other mild annoyance i've experienced with CentOS documentation is
that i'm commonly linked to a section of an outdated version - like the
other day when I searched for some X11 settings and was referred to
Chapter 30 from the CentOS 4.5 manual.  Personally it's not a big deal
because I know that this is still relevant.  But as a newcomer to either
the Linux commnities or CentOS specifically, I would be wondering why I
can't find up-to-date documents.

That being said, I suppose the next step is to find out how I should go
from here.  Are there any sort of regular meetings?  What other
collaboration tools are used?  If there's nothing formal maybe a
conference call might prove useful.  I can set up a bridge line if
people are interested in that.

Thanks again,

Tim