[CentOS-docs] Suggested additions to the wiki on the V6 to V7 upgrade page

Bert bertnz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 05:09:26 UTC 2014

**  I've heard back from Karanbir and Jim Perrin so far.  Would anyone else
like to be included in the development of the upgrade guide? **

I think the jury may be out on how "reasonably sane" I am.  I've been able
to achieve a smooth upgrade process 3 times now, once on a production
server (though that had no web-related role).  Overall I'm fairly confident
with the process so am keen to include some recommended actions for how to
mitigate something going wrong during the upgrade.

There's a little bit of negative FUD out there on the web about the upgrade
process.  A few people have blogged about the upgrade process (good and
bad) and I feel there's a fair bit of room for expansion in the wiki to
include their feedback, as well as for what I would suggest terming an
"upgrade process best practices".  I suggest expanding on the content so
people have a guide to a fairly smooth experience or at least a minimal
risk of catastrophic failure, and how to tidy up after the upgrade.

** could someone moderate the comment at the end of this post please?
http://seven.centos.org/2014/07/testing-centos-6-to-centos-7-upgrades-via-centos-testing-repo/
"This is the biggest load of shit I’ve come across, it’s worse than Windows
8."

I'm keen to develop the upgrade guide to a point so users avoid many
"catastrophic failures" - because there'll be users who don't bother taking
a backup of their system prior to actually ploughing ahead with it and then
cry for help when it goes terribly wrong ;-) - and at the very least I feel
we should guide people on how to review the preupgrade assistant report and
look for serious warnings, and how to mitigate against them, so they can
achieve an upgrade instead of a fresh install.

I realise though that there is a line to be drawn between what's suitable
as official documentation and "a bit too much".

Seem reasonable?