[CentOS-docs] Pull Request wiki.c.o/AdditionalResources/Repositories

PatrickD Garvey

patrickdgarveyt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 00:56:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 14/01/15 23:38, PatrickD Garvey wrote:
>
>> Please help us (me, especially) understand what we may be doing to the
>> detriment of your use of CentOS and thereby avoid that negative
>> result.
>
> Lets flip this around - just going by your comments in the last few
> days, it seems to me that you dont actually use CentOS Linux at all and
> are largely unaware of how this ecosystem works.
>
> so, from your point of view, as a user - what is it that you use CentOS
> and what sort of roles do you deploy it in ?

I am a retired programmer/system administrator. The last systems I
maintained were IBM System/6000 running AIX and CATIA, a 3D
computer-aided design package.

I want to use CentOS to explore the aspects of operating systems that
I was not allowed to explore with a proprietary system. I had a couple
of 32-bit machines I intended to make into my lab, but the Linux
community seems to have moved on to 64-bit images.

So, while I acquire a new set of machines, I'm reading and trying to
improve the documentation surrounding a particular distribution of
Linux, CentOS.

Any opinions I express are based on my 27 years in large corporations
that used computers developed and sold by other companies, which
includes 20 years ordering, receiving, installing, configuring, and running
IBM equipment for large corporations.