[CentOS-docs] Pull Request wiki.c.o/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Wed Jan 14 23:38:26 UTC 2015
PatrickD Garvey <patrickdgarveyt at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 03:09:01PM -0800, PatrickD Garvey wrote:
>>
>> Proposal:
>> The Third Party Repositories section should not list any other repositories,
>> but should only note there are difficulties in making several independent
>> repositories safely usable and give a thorough explaination of what has happened
>> in the past without naming names.
>
> You are looking for problems to fix where there are none.  The overall state of
> that page is and has been fine for many years.  EL requires external third-
> party repos.  It has always been this way and it will always continue to
> be the case.  Your proposal to remove the listings that are there now
> serves no one and will only create more of a support burden on the
> people that are volunteering their time.
>
>                                                         John

I view your comments as an opportunity to understand an experience I
have yet to have. Please share which repository you use and how it
depends upon CentOS and how the CentOS community depends upon it.

I view the entire FLOSS community as interdependent. I hope to make
this page an asset for that interdependence. That's why I worked on
the link rot.

Karanbir seems to feel that certain phrases in the page unduly favor
some of the repositories and that requires an objective evaluation.

Please help us (me, especially) understand what we may be doing to the
detriment of your use of CentOS and thereby avoid that negative
result.