[CentOS-docs] notify emails from wiki.centos.org

Fri Jul 10 14:09:16 UTC 2015
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> making a few edits i just noticed that a lot of emails get sent out on
> every edit on wiki.c.o - this isnt a problem as such, but i wonder if
> its better for more people to use an rss feed ?

I read each commit and have for many years, as an anti-spam
protection, as well as checking editorial content.  It is a
'push' approach, presently end user configurable, and
lightweight (run a diff, and toss it into email)

RSS is a 'pull' media, and so 'loadier' on an end user having
to click a webbish form, send a new request tot he server,
wait for content to be marshalled, and returned.  Much
heavier, and not well suited to a 'push' workflow

Not a good idea, as I see it, to move to just one approach,
when the incumbent is presently used, in the code, and 'just
works'.  If more outbound email delivery capacity is needed,
that is out of scope from a wiki issue, of course

-- Russ herrold