[CentOS-docs] Regarding GSoC project

Mon Jun 1 17:22:38 UTC 2015
Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>

On 05/29/2015 12:33 PM, kunaal jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the last week, Lei and I have been researching about the
> review platform where the content submitted can be reviewed,
> commented, tagged and pushed. This will be an alternative to github
> pull requests interface, which will thus reduce our dependency on
> Github in case Github changes its API anytime in future.

Definitely I agree with that thinking.

One thing to consider is that some people may us the pull request
model and then not want to go further outside of the tool.

One way to think of this is to see if you can work with someone
entirely in GitHub, if that happens, maybe by having the content
reviewer do the shuffles with bug tracking.

> Even firefox is considering using Github as an alternative medium
> to receive contribution.
> http://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2015/01/12/utilizing-github-for-firefox-d
evelopment/

>  Lei made a great chart comparing the platforms.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9sUy41_Rk3KdGl4RVhDSXZIZmc/view?usp=
sharing

Were

you able to compare with Mantis, which is what runs
http://bugs.centos.org?

What are the time implications with connecting to a bug/task tracking
tool?

I'm glad you are thinking about this at the start, in case you also
use GitHub in parallel with git comments and pull requests, as a way
to get a minimal feature set running.

I'll comment in other parts of this thread, to keep context.

Regards,

- - Karsten