[CentOS-docs] Update for FAQ - q.15 & q.31 update & merge

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Jun 5 20:52:07 UTC 2015

On 06/05/2015 08:30 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:

> Folks:
>
> A few of us (KB, Johnny, myself) have begun work on updating the main
> FAQs on the CentOS wiki. Mainly that means looking over and updating
> for any changes that have been going on in the last 18 months as the
> project has expanded to include SIG releases, monthly updates of many
> new types, new hardware architectures, and so forth.
>
> For this first update we've got this from the FAQ:
>
> q.15:
> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-6e2c3746ec45ac3142917466760321e8
> 68f43c0e
> q.31
> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-dcca41e9a3d5ac4c6d900a991990fd11
> 930867d6
>
> The first item is that these questions are repetitive, so I'd like to
> combine them in to a single answer. Second is that version numbering
> has expanded, so we need to cover monthly updates and so forth.
>
> Circling around on this, we ended up with the following complete
> rewrite that would replace q.31 and retire q.15 (thereby making q.31
> in to q.30.) How does this update sound?
>
> If we're close enough, I'll push it to live at the start of next week,
> and we can always continue iterating on it.
>
> The text below is in Moin Moin format; I was going to do a diff
> between the versions but then we differed so wildly in combining and
> rewriting that I think a mental diff will work better. A formatted
> draft is here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/KarstenWade/GeneralFAQUpdateq31q15
>
> Thanks - Karsten

I'd say that at least the following paragraphs from q15 are worth
preserving:
- Any point release is just a "snapshot" with previous updates, plus the
latest batch of new upstream updates, rolled into a new [base] repo with
an initially empty [updates] repo.
- There is a CentOS Vault containing older CentOS trees. This vault is a
picture of the older tree when it was removed from the main tree, and
does not receive updates. It should only be used for reference.

After " If you are using an older minor version than the latest in a
given branch, then you are missing security and bugfix updates." I'd
also emphasize that we offer no support for these configurations,
something along:
             For this reason old minor releases are never supported. If
you want/need to "freeze" at an old point release you are entirely on
your own.

wolfy, tired of people who fail to understand what minor releases are
and keep pushing in IRC for support of old[er] stuff