[CentOS-docs] Docs strategy and tactics [RFC]

kunaal jain kunaalus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:54:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:

> On 03/16/2015 07:50 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
>> On 03/16/2015 01:42 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
>>> Prominent wiki-like controls are important to getting drive-by
>>> edits, and I am personally a fan of the in-place editing
>>> experience you get from a good wiki.
>>
>> I wonder if we can find a way to make the "Edit this page on
>> GitHub" more obvious then?
>
> The docker documentation does this to some extent in their versioning.
> We could likely do similar, but change up the dropdown. Example:
> https://docs.docker.com/ the down-caret beside the version string in
> the upper right, gives you the option for previous versions or to edit
> on github.
>
> Would adapting something like this work?

What they are doing is releasing whole official documentation in
versions. What they are doing has to be essentially part of what we
should be doing, but instead of versioning complete documentation,
having versions of individual documents and giving them option on page
itself to edit last few changes would be good.

Regards,
Kunaal Jain