[CentOS-docs] Welcome GSoC students, getting started

Thu May 7 08:45:40 UTC 2015
Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>

I'd like to welcome the two Summer of Code students who will be building
different parts of the new CentOS documentation toolchain.

* Kunal Jain
* Lei Yang

Students -- welcome again, and thank you for your work this far in
helping define the project. Now we have the pleasure of working on the
two new scopes that will work interdependently and independently.

All of the discussion around this new toolchain has occurred on this
mailing list, however the final accepted proposals are behind the GSoC
webtool curtain. This is to our advantage, as we need to re-think the
project plans across two students.

As a refresher, here is the original idea:

http://wiki.centos.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#docs-toolchain

And some relevant emails & threads:

- From here:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-March/thread.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-April/thread.html

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-March/005593.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-March/005594.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-March/005618.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-March/005620.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-April/005623.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-April/005624.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-April/005629.html

In discussions with the two students, myself, and Shaun McCance, we
determined that we could effectively split up this project. That means
the students will need to generate new work plans around individual
scopes. These scopes will avoid overlap and interdependence so that
each student is able to be successful without the others' project.

So now the next fun part begins -- working out two scopes of work, the
timing (as Kunaal's and Lei's schedules differ by a bit on either end
of the summer), and what needs to be done in what order for all this
to work.

Cheers,

- - Karsten
- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade        .^\          CentOS Doer of Stuff
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org    \  http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'             gpg: AD0E0C41