[CentOS-docs] discussions around upstream documentation

Mon Apr 11 19:11:04 UTC 2016
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/11/2016 09:18 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> What are the thoughts or concerns about this sort of workflow
>> change?
>
> Any chance Moin Moin can store wiki source in git and sync
> automatically with a central git repository?
>
> It would provide another pathway to suggest edits to the wiki without
> requiring wiki edit permissions.
>
> For new documentation, e.g. layered project content from SIGs or
> upstream documentation sources, I would think we'd want to skip a
> conversion to/from Moin Moin and instead work directly in the sources
> from upstream. Eases merging upstream, etc. Last Summer's GSoC
> students implemented such a workflow.

I agree with providing another pathway. More specifically, I am
against moving entirely away from the current way of editing the wiki.

Going for the git environment has its own merits as already mentioned,
but at the same time it would deter some people. Not everyone is
particularly fond of (or familiar with) git. I would not be surprised
if some of the existing wiki authors stop contributing if the direct
edit is no longer an option.

Akemi