[CentOS-docs] VPAT for centos 7 - section 508compliancestatement

Thu Sep 22 22:13:41 UTC 2016
Jason Pyeron <jpyeron at pdinc.us>

No. Glad I get to clarifiy. It is a set of answers to questions, from a SME point of view, think FAQ.

Who is better to answer about product X? The vendor (in this case community) or a bureaucrat? The VPAT is a standard set of
accessibility questions. This is why a Voluntary Product Accessibility Template is requested. It allows consumers to compare apples
to apples.

Here are some samples (CentOS 6):

Section 1194.21 Software Applications and Operating Systems (text mode)
(a) When software is designed to run on a system that has a keyboard, product functions shall be executable from a keyboard where
the function itself or the result of performing a function can be discerned textually.

Supported: All command line mode tasks are executed from a keyboard.

Section 1194.21 Software Applications and Operating Systems (gui)
(c) A well-defined on-screen indication of the current focus shall be provided that moves among interactive interface elements as
the input focus changes. The focus shall be programmatically exposed so that Assistive Technology can track focus and focus changes.

Supported: The GTK2 2.x GUI toolkit exposes focus programmatically via the ATK (Accessibility Tool Kit).
Section 1194.31 Functional Performance Criteria
(a) At least one mode of operation and information retrieval that does not require user vision shall be provided, or support for
Assistive Technology used by people who are blind or visually impaired shall be provided.

Supported: Support for Assistive Technology is provided via the Controlling Terminal interface.

Section 1194.41 Information, Documentation and Support
(a) Product support documentation provided to end-users shall be made available in alternate formats upon request, at no additional
charge

Supported: Centos documentation is available in electronic form and can be downloaded from here:
http://wiki.centos.org/Documentation and upstream documentation is availble at http://www.redhat.com/docs/. Most of our manuals are
available in HTML and PDF forms.