[CentOS-docs] wiki.centos.org .. what's next ?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 16:25:33 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> it's all in the title : what's next for wiki.centos.org ?
>
> As a reminder, current wiki.centos.org instance is powered by moinmoin
> (https://moinmo.in/) but quite an old version (moin-1.5.8-3.el6.noarch)
>
> Recently I had a quick look at trying to update/upgrade that version to
> something newer/supported, but it's a nightmare : the data conversion
> just kill the target server (oom) and no way to know why. When trying to
> get help from moin people in their irc server, I was answered that such
> old version wasn't supported, and that those upgrade scripts themselves
> aren't supported either, so nobody would help finding why they'd be
> buggy without having access to the full data.
>
> Of course exposing the whole wiki instance (including user/pass) isn't
> an option, so except if somebody has really a clue about what can go
> wrong with the update script from 1.5 to 1.6 (and then it has to be done
> for each major.minor upgrade, so all that in a chained operation), the
> migration will be impossible.
>
> That's why I'd like to discuss a possibility to move wiki to something
> else, and that's even why we should discuss the need for a wiki itself.
>
> If we want to continue to have community written/maintained content,
> should be still use a wiki or something else ? Moin was selected ~10y
> ago for its simplicity and online editing, but in 2017, most people (dev
> and ops) are probably using other workflows, like git/pull-requests/etc.
>
> So what about exploring other possibilities ?
>
> I don't have a real proposal (even if mkdocs.org , simple solution with
> Markdown, combined with git would be perfect for me) but just wanted to
> start a dedicated thread so that we can think about the future of
> wiki.centos.org
>
> Opinions ? Proposals ? anything else ? Fee free to comment :-)

​I personally would like to see an update to the current wiki​. However if
this is not plausible, maybe an alternative like mediawiki can be
considered?

One note I want to make is that use of git may not be suitable/best for
docs and certainly will be frowned upon by some notable contributors to the
current wiki.

Akemi