[CentOS-docs] Fedora 26, what can be learned?

Scott Robbins scottro11 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 15:38:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:29:24AM -0400, Markus McLaughlin wrote:
> Fedora 26 is now available, what can CentOS EDU learn from it?

Short answer: What changes might be coming.  I suspect that RHEL8 will
default to dnf, rather than yum. There haven't been too many major changes
for the sysadmin, there are various things happening, don't know when they
started, for the desktop user with Gnome changes, Wayland, and the like.

The usual pattern is that something is developed for Fedora, which seems to
be aimed at the single user laptop owner who has no experience in
handling data for other people.

Then, RedHat blindly puts it in the next RedHat release.  Experienced
adminstrators complain. This is usually ignored.

People post on various lists and forums that they're moving to FreeBSD.
Reminiscent of some celebrities who said they would move to Canada if Trump
became president, they find that it's easier to adjust than actually make
the move.

That's my somewhat jaundiced view on it.  To elaborate, and cherry pick
items that suit my bias, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias, I
believe it was Fedora who first decided to severely limit the options in
the curses based version of anaconda, which then went into RHEL6, causing a
lot of curses. <rimshot>.  That's a simple, unresearched, and quite
possibly wrong example, but I suspect many of us use Fedora so as to not
get caught by surprise when things like that happen (the curses based
install suddenly losing lots of options.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6