[CentOS-docs] wiki content management via automation

Thu Feb 22 21:13:05 UTC 2018
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 01:11:20PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 21/02/18 22:30, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> > That's a good question, as we'll also have to migration for moinmoin if
> > we can't find a support path to migrate to supported version anyway.
> > So first question (already asked on the list) : is there a way to get in
> > touch with moin people willing to help/assist us ? (as their upgrade
> > tool wasn't working to test migration from 1.6 to 1.7)
>
> it would be good if someone on the docs team ( or docs focused could
> take this up, I am far too removed from implementation at this point to
> drive that conversation productively ).
>
> Other than that, +1 to engage moin upstream

+1 on getting moin updated to current.  It's going to be much less work
in the long run than converting everything over to mediawiki or similar.

> > And then too : is there a way to consume a kind of API for moin that
> > would then meet the "content management via automation" requirement. Or
> > do we have to also investigate directly another solution (like
> > mediawiki) and so migration ?
>
> does media-wiki have an api ?

Yes, but unnecessary to resort to API for this.  moin-1.6 and newer all
have functionality via 'macros' (plugins, mostly) to pull in remote
content and have it rendered by the moin rendering engine and then
displayed in-line.  Your work-flow could produce an artifact that is
raw wiki-formatted text and then wiki.c.o could consume that content
automatically.  Keeping that content up-to-date would then be the
responsibility of the work-flow pipeline itself.

							John
--
We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a
few, but we can't have both.

-- Louis Brandeis (1856-1941), U.S. Supreme Court Justice, quoted by Raymond
   Lonergan in Mr.  Justice Brandeis, Great American (1941), p. 42.