[CentOS-docs] reference page for Apache test page & the project

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Sat Jun 23 21:33:45 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 4:17 PM, Trevor Hemsley <trevor.hemsley at ntlworld.com
> wrote:

> On 23/06/18 21:03, John R. Dennison wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 04:58:21PM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> >> * Is there a better page I can point at?
> > 'Better' is quite subjective; however this all goes back to
> >
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20060523223519/https://www.
> centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=127
> >
> > and is as good of a reference as any.
> >
> > I would urge someone to scrape the gist of that thread and preserve it
> > on wiki.c.o somewhere.
> >
> > If no one else does I will do it later today or tomorrow when I have a
> > bit of time and motivation.
>
> You know, perhaps this is approaching this from the wrong direction.
> Maybe the correct solution would be to change that welcome page to be
> more explicit about what it is and why it's there so the question
> doesn't arise in the first place. It *is* better than it used to be but
> it could be better. If we just move the "The CentOS Project has nothing
> to do with this website or its content, it just provides the software
> that makes the website run." up to immediately after the "This server
> powered by CentOS" under the Testing 123... heading.
>
> Does the attached patch make it more clear more easily? It gets the
> essential message into the top paragrpah which is the one that gets
> read. Having it off the bottom of the page where it resides in the
> current version means you're reliant on people advancing to the next page.
>
> Trevor

How long does one need to be in IT to realize that people simply will not
read things, period?  Adding more text to an already long-winded page that
clearly no one is reading will not solve the problem.

The only solution is to eschew vanity completely and make a page that has
nothing but "Testing 123" or something equally terse, and possibly
mentioning Apache, if that is a requirement somewhere.  The only mention of
CentOS, should be the "powered by" badge and that's it.  I would remove the