[CentOS-docs] reference page for Apache test page & the project

Sat Jun 23 21:50:22 UTC 2018
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Brian Mathis
<brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 4:17 PM, Trevor Hemsley

>> If we just move the "The CentOS Project has nothing
>> to do with this website or its content, it just provides the software
>> that makes the website run." up to immediately after the "This server
>> powered by CentOS" under the Testing 123... heading.

>> Trevor

> How long does one need to be in IT to realize that people simply will not
> read things, period?  Adding more text to an already long-winded page that
> clearly no one is reading will not solve the problem.
>
> The only solution is to eschew vanity completely and make a page that has
> nothing but "Testing 123" or something equally terse, and possibly
> mentioning Apache, if that is a requirement somewhere.  The only mention of
> CentOS, should be the "powered by" badge and that's it.  I would remove the
> "powered by CentOS" in the blue header, and then ALL of the text "About
> CentOS" and below.  I understand the intention of trying to help users and
> admins, but it clearly isn't.
>
> As we have seen in the past, this page causes well-known problems, and afaik
> provides almost no benefit so should be removed.
>
> ~ Brian Mathis

I was about to post my view and found that it has just been said by Brian.
See the welcome page by RHEL:

http://toracat.org/attic/centos/apache-welcome-RHEL.png

It has a minimal amount of info about RHEL. After all, the whole
purpose of the test page is to let the admin know that he/she
successfully set up httpd. The page is not intended for the general
public. And for someone who does not know what CentOS is, there is no
point mentioning it.

The CentOS badge as suggested by Brian and perhaps the "CentOS has
nothing to do with ..." description quoted by Trevor will be all that
is necessary.

Akemi