[CentOS-docs] Installing CentOS - user feedback

Mon Aug 17 23:41:09 UTC 2020
Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

On 8/18/20 2:34 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 8/17/20 11:04 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> A few days ago I got email from a user who was attempting to install
>> CentOS. I've included their full message below, but, to summarize,
>> when one clicks on the "CentOS Linux" link on the front page of
>> centos.org one is given a matrix of choices, and no guidance. On
>> choosing one option - say, x84_64 ISO, one is then given another list
>> of options and no guidance. Pick one of *those* options and you are
>> yet again given a list of options and no guidance.
>>
>> Now, it could be argued that someone who doesn't know what to choose
>> is not our target audience, and I suppose that would be an ok
>> position to hold. But wouldn't it be great to lower the bar just a
>> little, and offer some guidance as to which links one should click?
>>
>> I'd like to see several things:
>>
>> 1) On the front page, where it says "We offer two Linux distros:",
>> there would be at least some hint of what this choice entails
>>
>> 2) On the download page - https://www.centos.org/centos-linux/ - a
>> little explanation of what the various options there are.
>>
>> So far, this is all just edits to centos.org. The next two steps
>> involve pushing changes to the mirror network, and I honestly have no
>> idea what is involved there.
>>
>> 3) Adding phrasing to
>> http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/8/isos/x86_64/ that indicates
>> what that inscrutable list of links means.
>>
>> and finally, possibly not even possible:
>>
>> 4) Add words to http://centos4.zswap.net/8.2.2004/isos/x86_64/ (as a
>> random example) that say what the various options mean. This is
>> probably not possible, since these are just autoindex generated
>> pages. We could, however, offer Apache httpd and nginx configuration
>> recommendations which will provide that additional information for
>> sites that chose to follow the instructions.

Oh, sweet. I just noticed that below the /8/isos tree there is no
description similar to
http://centos4.zswap.net/7/isos/x86_64/0_README.txt. Wonderful choice,
dropping each and every hint that [barely] existed.