[CentOS-gsoc] rootfs build factory

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Apr 14 10:43:38 UTC 2015

On 04/12/2015 11:52 PM, Shubham Mathur wrote:

> This is SHUBHAM MATHUR.Iwant to discuss for my project proposal in GSOC
> 2015.i just want to add more information about this. Before starting my
> work i want to discuss with you about the problem that centOS doesn't
> works on ARM boards like raspberryy pi,intel breakout board etc. So we
> have to develop “FATelf” patches for centOS and. “FATelf” is a teqnique
> that is also known as univrsal binary system. this type of tool can help
> us in installing centOS for various hardware board. we can just upload
> our rootfs and  various updates in it and as soon as it downloads and
> install and works our projects gets done. But bfor that we have to make
> partition in our harddisk or sd card on which architecture we are going
> to booy.
>
> */_MY DEDLINES FOR THIS PROJECT_/*
>
> */_
> _/*
>
> */_week(1-2)_/*
>
> Study “FATelf” in detail and  making a systematic idea of work that how
> to give shape to my work.
>
> */_
> _/*
>
> */_week(2-4)_/*
>
> work on unpacking these files with “FATelf” for this i have to make a
> tool which converts file system to “FATelf”

Would this not involve rebuilding the entire distro ? I suspect its
going to be far simpler to join and extend the ARM port efforts underway
right now and just base your work on delivering the output from that effort.

We have the hardware resources to try and help make that port effort
fairly productive short term.

> */_
> _/*
>
> */__/*
>
> */_week(4-6)_/*
>
> if it works then its fine otherwise more work on it. if it works then
> try to make a separate branch in kernel which converts  that filesystem
> to “fatELF” the benifit for this is we dont have to take that tool again
> again for installation purpose.
>
> */_
> _/*
>
> */_week(6-8)_/*
>
> Work on kernel branching only otherwise work on tool only.
>
> */_
> _/*
>
> */_week(8-11)_/*
>
> Finalising  my project and submitting to you
>

> NOTE:-  I will definetly try to implement plugins for google chrome and
> firefox for arm boards.

What does this mean ? Are you implying getting google-chome and firefox
working on ARM hardware ?

--
Karanbir Singh