[CentOS-gsoc] gsoc 2015 projects

Marios-Evaggelos Kogias marioskogias at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:05:57 UTC 2015

Dear CentOS gsoc mentors,

my name is Marios and I am a student from Greece. I participated in
gsoc last year in LTTng project and I am interested in participating
again this year in the CentOS project.

I found the projects you proposed extremely interesting and I am
really confused which one to choose to make my proposal for. So, I
would like to ask some clarifying questions, which are groupped per
project. I address my questions here but I am more than willing to
talk with the equivalent mentors in IRC or mail. My questions are:

* Centos cloud storage
- Is glusterfs a prerequisite for the program? Is it possible to use
another fs, eg CephFS, because I am familiar with the Ceph
architecture, since I have partially worked with that.

* Lightweight Cloud instance contextualisation tool
Can I have some more details about this project especially as far as
the lightwieght part is concerned. As I imagine this tool will not be
CentOS specific, right?

* Xen based Hypervisor in a Box
According to the ideas page "the aim of this task is to build an
installer instance". So, will the result be like a live CD where the
user can try different CentOS versions, or a new instance that from
the time is installed xen is running and several CentOS VMs can be
initiated.

* App to trim containers
Is this project about docker containers or containers in general? Are
there any specific ideas and tools in mind behind that project or it
is more of a research project?

* Cloud in a box
Is there any prerequisite about the cloud software that should be
used? There are a lot of choices eg OpenStack, oVirt, synnefo

As you can understand from my questions I am more interested in cloud
and virtualization projects and CentOS is among the few gsoc projects
that offer me this chance.

I am looking forward your reply.

Best regards,
Marios