[CentOS-gsoc] GSOC 2015- Rootfs build factory implementation

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 23:38:46 UTC 2015

On 03/06/2015 08:28 PM, Saket Sinha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking forward to participate in GSOC 2015 With CentOS
> community in Rootfs build factory implementation for ARM and other
> platforms.
>
> This is to discuss the idea further in order to build my
> understanding of the project.
>
> ARM is now supported by most of  Linux distors. To discuss a few
> we have Debian, Fedora, Gentoo Linux, Arch Linux etc.
>
> Debain has something called debootstrap for creating an
> architecture specific rootfs.
>
> Fedora uses fedora remix for supporting different non-x86 boards(or
> platforms). From
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Creating_Remixes
> what I could find that you can create your own fedora remix by
> using a tool called appliance-tools over a fedora disk image.
>
> So here are we trying to implement a similar implementation for
> CentOS ? Please let me know if my understanding of the project is
> right.

Hello Saket,

Thank you for your interest in this effort. If would still like to
make an application proposal on this topic, there are a few things to do
.

First, you need to join the centos-devel mailing list and catch up on
the discussion that is happening in the next 24 hours about this
project idea. The mentor for this project has been heads-down working
on CentOS 7 updates for the last few weeks, but I've asked him to
respond to any questions on centos-devel within the next day.

Second, if you wish to make an application, the initial proposal is
due 27 March at 19:00 UTC. After that deadline you will have a few
weeks to work with all the mentors to improve your application. But
the initial application /must/ be in by that deadline.

Third, read through this and make sure you are up-to-date on how to appl
y:

http://wiki.centos.org/GSoC/HowToApply#students

Regards,

- - Karsten
- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade .^\ CentOS Doer of Stuff
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org \ http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC) \v' gpg: AD0E0C41