[CentOS-gsoc] GSOC 2015 Implement and create new documentation toolchain

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 22:05:07 UTC 2015

On 03/09/2015 02:38 AM, kunaal jain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in working on this idea. Can anyone please connect
> to the mentor, so I can discuss details, requirements and other
> stuff.

Kunaal,

Thanks for reaching out to me directly, I missed your original email.
I'm going to paste over your follow-up questions and reply to them
here for the benefit of all.

First, let me point to the docs strategy proposal I just posted:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-March/005593.html

That proposal is part of what prompted me to generate this GSoC idea.

On 03/11/2015 kunaal jain wrote:
> As I mentioned in the subject I am interested in implementing and
> creating a new documentation toolchain. From my limited
> understanding, we need a toolchain which will allow users to write
> technical content at a central place, and then convert it into
> standard technical document and tag them under appropriate git
> repository. Please point me where I am wrong and correct.

Mainly correct. I'm not sure that we need a central place, it's mainly
that I think we can take advantage of the popularity and low barriers
that GitHub presents, without tying ourselves to GitHub as "the solution."

> It would be very convenient if you can describe in detail the
> technical specifications you expect from the project as well as
> some resources to get started. I can read the resources and work on
> them and get back to you.

Look at the above strategy proposal as a starting place. I think you
should join the centos-docs mailing list, too. I'm fine right now with
discussing there and on centos-devel, the goal being to get our
discussions in front of the people using and affected by these tools.

> The reason I am interested in this project is because I believe
> that It will be a life changing for many of users as well authors.
> I learnt setting up, troubleshooting centOS server, fedora, linux
> and all relevant stuff from resources scattered over internet and
> with poor quality. Now with this toolchain we can have all the
> resources related to CentOS projects at one place with proper
> specifications. Kudos!!

You have the right idea!

I know I didn't provide all your answers here, but I think what I
wrote in the proposal on centos-docs will spark more ideas, so let's
start with that discussion and keep moving.

Thanks - Karsten
- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade        .^\          CentOS Doer of Stuff
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org    \  http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'             gpg: AD0E0C41