[CentOS-gsoc] GSoC - Xen based Hypervisor in a Box

George Dunlap

dunlapg at umich.edu
Tue Mar 24 12:16:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Emil Condrea <emilcondrea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Emil Condrea, student in 4h year at Faculty of Computer Science in
> Iasi, Romania. I am an enthusiastic developer fascinated by low level
> programming. Since two years ago I started to do research about kernel
> programming. For the final thesis I wanted to improve the existing code in
> open source community rather than reinventing the wheel so I combined
> security with virtualization and kernel programming.
> I am developing new features to Xen virtual TPMs. Also, I am going to send
> patches to tpm library trousers so others can use the new features I
> implemented at kernel level. I wrote this in C. I can give you more details
> about it if you are interested.
>
> I am writing this email because I want to write a proposal for Xen based
> Hypervisor in a box. I want to be a part of this project because I am very
> focused on virtualization and security and this is what I want to work in
> the future.
>
> Regarding my experience: I am working since 3 years ago at Bitdefender as
> Antispam Engines Developer (C/C++). Also, I have 6 years of experience on
> web development. You can see more details on my website:
> http://emilcondrea.com
>
> I am really looking forward for your reply in order to know if you think I
> am the right person for this project. From your point of view is it ok to
> write proposal right now or should I contact the mentor first?

I think in general the idea is that you should write the proposal when
you feel like you have enough information to do so. :-)

You should start by making sure you have a clear idea what detailed
outcome you want, and an overview of the detailed steps that it will
take to get you there.  In this case that should involve taking a
brief look at anaconda, the ISO creation mechanisms, and the
installation of Xen on a CentOS system.  Any questions about the
project idea -- either the overall scope or questions about details of
deliverables -- or the details of how the various systems work --
should be asked here on the list.

GSoC is set up less like an internship and more like what you might do
as a contractor: Discuss specific deliverables which you will provide
at specific times (the mid-term and the end), which can in theory be
used to deny you payment (although of course that would only happen in
unusual cases).

The difference, of course, is that a contractor would already be
thoroughly familiar with a project before writing something up; while
GSoC is intended for people who have zero familiarity.  But part of
the purpose of writing a proposal is to demonstrate a willingness and
ability to *gain* familiarity on your own (with some assistance of
course).

So there is more flexibility to change things as you go along.  But if
you come at it from the mindset of a contractor, I think it might help
focus you a bit. :-)

Hopefully that helps!

 -George