[CentOS-gsoc] GSOC Proposal discussion for Extendable system hardening tool

Thu Mar 12 00:11:31 UTC 2015
Aneesh Dogra <lionaneesh at gmail.com>

Hello,

My name is Aneesh Dogra. I am studying computer science in IIIT Delhi. I
have been involved in a few open source projects (primarly libav and
sugarlabs) since 2-3 years. I have won GCI twice [1] [2] and mentored in
GSoC for Sugarlabs (2 years ago) and been a GSOC student last year. I have
a fairly active/updated github [3] and linkedin [4] profile.

I have experience in security pentesting, C, python and shell.

Extendable System hardening tool:
Here's what I understand of the idea: Create a tool to enforce some secure
habits on the server depending on the inputs (modes/recipes). The trick
here is the make this very general. Here's my proposed solution, after
thinking over it for a while:

1) There will be 2 components of the tool, recipe and modes.
- A recipe will be provided through a cdn to users for different modes.
- Each mode's recipe will have data so as to what to do to strengthen the
system.

2) The tool would parse the recipe file and execute the instructions listed
in the file, now either we could demand some bash scripts in the recipe
file, but this won't be neat. I was thinking of making predefined functions
in the tool and using some macros to represent them in the recipe file.
I'll need some help on this. Can we discuss this?

Is having bash code written in the recipes a bad idea?

[1] :
http://google-opensource.blogspot.in/2012/02/google-code-in-2011-grand-prize-winners.html
[2] :
http://google-opensource.blogspot.in/2013/02/google-code-in-2012-grand-prize-winners.html
[3] : https://github.com/lionaneesh
[4] : linkedin.com/in/aneeshdogra
[5] : https://github.com/lionaneesh/jsonDB

--
Regardless, I hope you're well and happy -
Aneesh