[CentOS-gsoc] yum plugins for docker

Tue Mar 17 15:16:54 UTC 2015
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

I've been asked a couple times privately for information about this, so
here's my current thinking on the project goals.

must-have:

1. be able to exec (or otherwise connect to a container) and perform a
'yum update' of the container, commiting the results upon successful
completion. eg - yum dockerupdate -y centos # run yum -y update in the
centos:latest container.

2. Traditional yum interaction is expected (prompting for 'y/n', or
accepting options like -y)

3. Passing exit values from the container to the host.

4. Exit with message on unsupported containers.

4. documentation and invalid-command syntax fails to usage/help.

nice-to-have:

1. tab complete support for commands as well as available containers.
2. support for non-rpm based updates (support apt for debian/ubuntu
based containers)

questionable:

glob/regex support to perform update on every matching container

Comments/Questions?

--
Jim Perrin