[CentOS-gsocadmin] Sorting proposals

Tue Apr 7 03:36:20 UTC 2015
Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>

Karsten, thank you for articulating this.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> What does it mean to order the proposals?
>
> * We want the strongest seeming students and proposals toward the top
> of the list.
>
> * Strongest is going to be a combination of strength of the proposal
> and work done so far, and how the student interaction is. We are
> looking for two main things:
>   1. Have they been quickly picking up on the open source way of doing
> things? (Tip:  Some students are already experienced in open source,
> don't hold this against them, but be aware so you aren't overly
> influenced by their prowess.)
>   2. Do they seem as if they can pick up on the open source way within
> a combination of the 'getting to know the community'-period (27 April
> - - 25 May) and the first few weeks of coding (25 May ff).
>   - Are we thinking we might be able to get people across a line in
> terms of understanding how-to? Consider for each student.

By this point the student should be in some form of continuous
conversation with the mentor (or, on the list) and seeking feedback on
the proposal. The first draft of a proposal is usually very ambitious
and the mentor-student interaction is important to adjust scope
accordingly. Also, if you wish to mentor a particular proposal, please
indicate it using the UI element available (cf.
<https://flossmanuals.net/melange/student-application-phase/>)

The Melange system provides a star ('*') based score for a proposal.
If we are going to use it, it would be good to agree to a baseline.
This would help the organization understand the scoring/rating system
in a proper manner.

During the assessment of a student and proposal, I'd request that you
keep <https://flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/mind-the-gap/> in mind.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://about.me/sankarshan.mukhopadhyay>