[CentOS-gsocadmin] Final proposals & order

Tue Apr 21 21:01:40 UTC 2015
Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>

On 04/21/2015 09:40 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> thanks for putting together the list, i will try and work through
> them once from my side as well overnight.

OK, I'm marking them accepted but we have until 24 April at 00:00
(Thursday Midnight), unsure of timezone, when all mentors and
proposals need to be matched and accepted. We should be clear for the
deduplication process.

On another note, I've been talking with Shaun McCance about how we
could sanely split the docs toolchain work up so that the students are
not inter-dependent on each other for success (so each part is useful
if they succeed or fail or have setbacks in the summer.) It's not
entirely clear how we can do that yet, but I think between us two on
mentoring side we can pull it off.

We're getting some duplicate possibly-accepted students with other
orgs, I'll be emailing the other org admins & affected mentors for
discussion.

- - Karsten

> - KB
>
> On 04/21/2015 07:10 AM, Karsten Wade wrote:
>> Based on the discussions so far and strength of the proposals
>> I've read, I suggest we accept the below list of at least 6
>> proposals in that order of preference. There is a 7th alternative
>> to choose - one of the proposals that doesn't seem strong enough,
>> and splitting the doc project in two.
>>
>> Unexpectedly we have a difficult choice to make around the
>> documentation toolchain proposal. Both students are very strong,
>> wrote strong proposals, are ambitious, and have been engaging
>> well in the community (on centos-docs, for example, discussing
>> together how to improve their ideas!)
>>
>> There is a chance that the project could be split in to two,
>> independent efforts. This way each student could be successful
>> with their own part regardless of if the other student comes
>> through. Alone each part would be useful. Together they would be
>> amazing.
>>
>> I've asked Shaun McCance to weigh in on this possibility, as he
>> has not only mentored GSoC students working on docs tools, but
>> he's been involved in designing and writing docs toolchains
>> directly.
>>
>> What do you all think of that idea?
>>
>> If there are no objections by early AM Pacific time, I'll go
>> ahead and assign mentors and click accept on the first 6, while
>> giving us time to resolve about the 7th.
>>
>> Regards, Karsten
>>
>> 1. Develop a kpatch delivery mechanism Mentor: Corey Henderson
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/org/google/gsoc2015/louis_kragniz/5629499534213120

2. A Single installer ISO that delivers a functional Xen4 stack on
>> CentOS 6 Mentor: George Dunlap Student: Gautam Malu
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/org/google/gsoc2015/gautam_malu/5629499534213120

3. ARM RootFS Build Factory for CentOS
>> Mentor: Ian McLeod Student: Mandar Joshi
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/org/google/gsoc2015/mndar/5629499534213120

4. Implement and create new documentation toolchain
>> Mentor: Karsten Wade Student: Kunal Jain OR Lei Yang Kunal's --
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/org/google/gsoc2015/kunaalus/5685265389584384

Lei's --
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/org/google/gsoc2015/yangl1996/5629499534213120

5. Lightweight Cloud Instance Contextualization Tool
>> Mentor: Haikel Guemar Student: Tamer Tas
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/org/google/gsoc2015/tmrtas/5741031244955648

6. Cloud in a box
>> Student: Asad (Syed Asadullah Hussain) Mentor: Rich Bowen
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/org/google/gsoc2015/asadullahhussain/5724160613416960

Questionable ...

>> 7. One of the doc proposals split in two
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 7? On Premise Vagrant Boxes Hosting System Mentor: Ian McLeod
>> Student: Hanok Kodavatikanti
>> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/org/google/gsoc2015/hanokk/5629499534213120

OR