[CentOS-gsocadmin] Reminder [was: Re: Mentors, please begin first pass reviews of proposals]

Tue Mar 24 02:47:35 UTC 2015
Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:40 AM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm chasing down the remaining 50% of mentors who haven't connected
> with our organization in Melange.
>
> We've got 3.5 days left to help students get at least basic proposals
> in for us to begin working with.

Thank you, Karsten!

I completed a couple of first pass reviews. My focus has been to (1)
request the student to think it terms of a concrete mid-term
deliverable; (2) spot any ambitious ('everything complete before
mid-term') schedule for the tasks; (3) seek modifications in the
proposal to demonstrate that they have studied and assessed the
current state-of-affairs (ie. the actual problem they are trying to
solve); (4) whether the proposal is relevant to the organization (we
have one and perhaps there will be more completely irrelevant in-bound
proposals).

The two aspects I have held back from asking are (a) the way the
students would prefer to post their updates. Ideally, regular blog
posts which can then be aggregated to a 'Planet' is best

And,

(b) how they intend to design their development work-flow. That is,
whether the projects would have a Github presence with Issues and PRs
being generated thus enabling a systematic and transparent development
method.

As we work up to the final form of the proposal, the good ones will
have milestones and dates which can be converted into reminders (using
a calendaring system etc).

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://about.me/sankarshan.mukhopadhyay>