[CentOS-mirror-announce] Deprecating previous eu-msync/us-msync A/AAAA records

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Mon Mar 25 19:17:24 UTC 2019

Hi,

While we already implemented that change a long time ago, it seems that
(based on discussions I had with Anssi), some people are still using
eu-msync.centos.org or us-msync.centos.org as hostnames in their scripts
(and sometimes using one as fall back of the other one)
That doesn't make sense anymore as those records were switched some time
ago to be CNAME of just msync.centos.org :

dig +short +noshort eu-msync.centos.org
eu-msync.centos.org.	600	IN	CNAME	msync.centos.org.

dig +short +noshort us-msync.centos.org
us-msync.centos.org.	600	IN	CNAME	msync.centos.org.

msync.centos.org is itself delegated to our PDNS setup, using GeoIP,
that will answer A/AAAA record (from a validated list of nodes in the
msync pool) based on your location.

As said, that was already updated a long time ago, but it seems I forgot
to send the announce email for this (even if all continued to work, with
the CNAME setup, and we'll still keep those, in case people don't read
this list, and so are still using those names to sync from)

Kind Regards,

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab