[CentOS-mirror] Instructions on CentOS.org for new mirrors

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 30 16:37:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 mirror-maintainer at mirror.averse.net wrote:

> Is there any requirement on where to place the centos directory, so that
> it is consistent across all centos mirrors?  eg. /pub/centos

No - because different mirrors have different setups. As long as the
centos directory is accessible via the published urls.

> Is there a requirement to mirror ALL of centos, including the rather old
> 2.1 (which incidentally is a symlink pointing outside of the centos
> directory and apparently only makes sense if you're also mirror cAos)?

No - and that 2.1 link will be fixed - thansk for pointing it out.

> I've been mirroring CentOS only for some time.  Available at
> ftp://mirror.averse.net/pub/centos
> http://mirror.averse.net/centos
> rsync://mirror.averse.net/centos

Thanks - do you want it listing ?? If so what bandwidth do you have ??

> Any particular reason why the rsyncd module is called CentOS rather than
> centos, when the directory itself is called centos?  rsyncd.conf seems to
> refuse to allow both capitalizations at the same time.

No - just CentOS is the name if the distro - it is anticipated that boith
would be configured on the mirrors but they havent been done yet.

Regards
Lance

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > There are instructions on CentOS.org concerning how to become a mirror.
> > Those instructions are for _NEW_ mirrors only. (And for mirroring CentOS
> > only via the new mirror).  If you want to do that, the instructions are
> > here:
> > http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=22
> >
> > We are currently working out a plan to split cAos and CentOS mirrors, so
> > if you have an existing CentOS mirror (or cAos mirror), you should
> > continue to use your current mirror method until the detailed plan (and
> > instructions) are put in place and mailed to this list.  You will then
> > be able to split the process into a cAos and CentOS mirroring process
> > and pick one, the other, or both to mirror.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Johnny Hughes

uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.